It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kayak Tourney
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:28 pm 

Hello everyone. I'm new to testing my skills in an organized event. 1st timer to be exact.

I was wondering if anyone could clue me in on how this whole thing works. I've read and I understand all the rules. Just trying to get a feel for what I should be expecting on the 27th in Jacksonville. Do's and don'ts and suggestions from others that were in my shoes in the past.

For starters:

Should all of my gear be ready to be inspected before the start? Kayak included? Just wondering because if so then I'll wait on loading extra equipment in the storage hatches.

Whats the issued measuring board like? How long or is it a sticker for my own board?

I just don't want to come up under or over prepared.

When the tournament begins, if its not delayed or cut short due to weather about how long should I be expecting to be on the water. 6 hrs, 8 hrs 14 hrs?

And any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for the help in advanced! I'm excited :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Kayak Tourney
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Snatch wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm new to testing my skills in an organized event. 1st timer to be exact.

I was wondering if anyone could clue me in on how this whole thing works. I've read and I understand all the rules. Just trying to get a feel for what I should be expecting on the 27th in Jacksonville. Do's and don'ts and suggestions from others that were in my shoes in the past.

For starters:

Should all of my gear be ready to be inspected before the start? Kayak included? Just wondering because if so then I'll wait on loading extra equipment in the storage hatches.

Whats the issued measuring board like? How long or is it a sticker for my own board?

I just don't want to come up under or over prepared.

When the tournament begins, if its not delayed or cut short due to weather about how long should I be expecting to be on the water. 6 hrs, 8 hrs 14 hrs?

And any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for the help in advanced! I'm excited :mrgreen:

We will not be inspecting your kayak at all. Anglers will just need to follow all the rules, and keep in mind that we have the right to require a polygraph for any reason at all.

You will rely on your camera skills to show your put-in status, kayak, token, and after you have caught a fish, to get it on the measuring board and get a good photo.

I believe that the measuring device will be produced in conjunction with 321fish.com and may, in fact, be provided by them. Sorry I can't fully answer that yet, as I haven't rec'd the latest information there.

Timewise, I'm guessing 6-7 hours would be close, but official times will be announce pretty soon. Thanks for your interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:25 pm 

If 321 is providing the measuring device, can we use a measuring we already have with the 321 ruler on it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:20 am 

Snatch,

First of all don't over think it. Make yourself a checklist so you won't stress out about wether you have everything or not. Just a basic list of your stuff you need to chase reds and trout and put a block beside the item laminate it and get yourself a grease pencil. I've got several of them. Get yourself some kind of board or something to put your measuring tape on and a couple of bungies to keep the fish on it while you take a picture. You might want to bring a couple of small zip ties or something to attach your "token" or specific item that the tournament is officially using to keep in your picture with your fish. The Captains meeting is professionally held by the IFA staff the day before with all the questions you might have answered by the officials. After they are done, go get yourself some sleep and get ready to launch at daybreak the next day. Might want to go over that checklist one more time before you hit the rack, have what you are going to use tied on and ready to go for the first round. Then the day of the tourney fishing will be from daylight til checkin so depending on where you fish and how far from the checkin will be how long your day is. Here is one of my first basic checklist. Hope this is what you were looking for. John Chappy Chapman

Fishing Check List

Kayak (S) ___ Stake out Pole ___

Paddles ___ Cell Phone ___

Lunch ___ Bug Spray ____

Life Vest ___ Tokens ____
Tackle Box ___ Batteries ____

Bait Bucket If applicable ___

Anchor and rope ___

Sunscreen ___

Hat ___

Sunglasses ___

Net ___

Rods ___

Lights if applicable ___

GPS ___

Fish measuring device ___

Camera/Memory Stick/ Battery Charged ___

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:09 am 
Site Admin

flounderpounder wrote:
If 321 is providing the measuring device, can we use a measuring we already have with the 321 ruler on it?

I'd guess that most people would think this is a simple "yes" or "no" answer, but it isn't. Here's why the answer is "interesting question."

At any IFA Redfish tournament there are two official measuring boards. There is the one we use to measure fish, and there's the Courtesy Board, that we let anglers use to calibrate their boards, or test measure their fish. No other official boards exist, no matter who made them, even our sponsors, check-it, whatever. Our Bumpmaster, who is and has been a Master Machinist for 30+ years and KNOWs how to measure stuff calibrates the boards at every single event to make sure they are right on.

Now, fast forward to the Kayak tour.

Our measuring devices which as I said will likely be produced in conjunction with 321fishing.com will be an official device. That device (which I have no idea what it will look like) will be official for that one day. Beyond that, how long will that device be deemed "official"?

I am not sure if you will get a new one every tournament or what.

Hope to have a more definitive answer for this for you soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:29 pm 

Just to clarify; “first light” will be a specific time correct? It’s not a subjective “I can see now” time, that everyone will independently judge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:32 pm 

I may have to mount a FLIR on the front of my yak!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

choupique wrote:
Just to clarify; “first light” will be a specific time correct? It’s not a subjective “I can see now” time, that everyone will independently judge.

For a number of years, we've been letting Jerry Stakely make the call on when "Safe Light" is. Generally, on a clear morning, that's a few minutes before the actual posted "sunrise" time posted on the weather channel, weather.com, etc.

Yon can be sure he will announce it, at the Captain's Meeting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 pm 

In most tournaments they go by Civil Twilight which is earlier than Sunrise. It is when the suns rays illuminate the skyline and the sky is neither all light or all dark. It occurs just before sunrise and in late afternoon lingers just after sunset.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:58 am 
Site Admin

jsuber wrote:
In most tournaments they go by Civil Twilight which is earlier than Sunrise. It is when the suns rays illuminate the skyline and the sky is neither all light or all dark. It occurs just before sunrise and in late afternoon lingers just after sunset.

Wow. Learn something new and exciting every day... "Civil Twilight"? There's probably a hundred ways to describe that time frame in global and local dialects, not to mention legal and governmental terms.

But, every little Redneck kid knows... "Get your butt home before Dark-Thirty, Wiseguy.." 8-)

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next