It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 3 of 6 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: IFA Kayak Tour and Bait????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 am 

I am also one that thinks that allowing natural bait will be a detriment to the series versus an inclusive benefit. I hear the same sentiment with most of the tournament anglers I’ve spoken with here in Texas. First and foremost all competitive professionally-run tournament series have all gone to artificial-only over the years, even the IFA. There is a reason why there has been a move to artificial lures. Not only does it involve more skill to entice fish to eat artificial lures but it’s also reduces the mortality rate of caught fish.

I was excited when I initially heard that the IFA was going to get involved with hosting kayak tournaments because the IFA has the resources and experience to host a professionally run series.
That excitement was quickly lulled by the announcement that live-bait would be permitted. I support tournament series by participation and I will not support a tournament series with a format that I don’t agree with.

At this time here in Texas we have other choices to choose from, although limited, as far as kayak tournaments are concerned. After hearing the rules and format, I think I’m going to concentrate on other tournament series. I hope the IFA listens to the popular consensus and makes the appropriate rule changes in the future to help increase participation and keep the series going beyond its inaugural year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:24 pm 

It sounds like the consensus is that we should be fishing artificial only, and if no tournaments have taken place, then I don't think its too late to change the rules. If your concerened about the brochure, then change the brochure and post the change online. Thats where your traffic is going to come from anyway. From an economic standpoint, if you have to re-print brochures, you are gonna spend another $500. But if you don't you are gambling on losing a couple of thousand for that one rule.

vincent wrote:
Adopt an unproven format and you'll get unpredictible results, we done it here in Texas on multiple "Failed" tournament series with the CPR and multi species events. None of them have lasted over a year.

I've talked with some folks in Texas who disagree with this statement. We have CPR tournaments all over the country that have had successful tournaments for years, and years. tkaa.org(6 years). jaxkayakfishing.com(7 years), fcka.net(3 years), paddle-fishing.com (10 years), and 321fish has been doing an online version monthly for two years. Extrememecoast does one online for the last three years that is one year long.

I frankly think the boats should be using CPR if there is a concern for the fish. And I've read your specific arguments about how 100% fish live in the live weigh-ins in kayaks. I believe in CPR. Its just common sense, that CPR is better for the fish. If you want them to take home to eat, then that’s different, but to drag it around in a kayak, suffocating it slowly, then release it after an 8 hour day, and think its going to be okay.

If you were pulled over by the police, and they took your picture and let you go, that would be a lot better than pulling you over, putting you in the backseat of the car, with the heat on high and the windows up for 8 hours, driving around and dropping you about 10 miles from your car. Is that cool? No! It wouldn't be okay if the weather was great and the windows were down.

Its just common sense that CPR is better. * Nothing personal, just trying to make a statement. *

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:22 pm 

I was under the impression the IFA was all about the anglers... by the response Big Mike gave I guess they don't want to listen. Good luck this year, hopefully they will realize they need two things to change, boundaries and artifical only. I hope they dont give up after this year and listen to what the anglers want for next year. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:44 pm 

Nice win on the Revo Nelbag. Hows it ride?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 pm 

I feel like i was fishing with bait because it was LUCK! honestly i have only used it once..it was nice but my legs hurt not being used to peddling. Will only being using it for offshore adventures from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:35 am 

Quote:
I've talked with some folks in Texas who disagree with this statement.

That's nice and all..I'd like to hear from some of them....but probably none of them fish kayak tournaments....I'm just stating fact...if you can name me a series in texas that has used CPR that has lasted more than the Third Coast Kayak Series...which was only 2years....I'm all ears....but I think I've fished every saltwater kayak tournament that has been held in Texas in the past 5 years..

Last edited by vincent on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 am 

Hey I'm not bashng CPR...heck I won 2008 Angler of the Year for the Third Coast which is CPR with five events from Freeport to South Padre...they are fun tournaments...but logistically they are a nightmare....subjective judging excluded...and they dont draw a crowd....we won't mention needing a digital camera..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 am 

Hey guys. Just wanted to put my two cents in on this. Most of the posts here are from folks who already fish tournaments in one form or another. You all consider yourselves seasoned fisherman and therefore artificials are the way you fish now. You do it for the challenge and because those are the rules.

One of the earlier posts stated that in Texas all of the tournaments have transitioned to artificials, indicating that they too started by including live baits. Obviously I was not in on the discussions on setting the rule on this, but would believe that they revolved around "how do we get the most people to come fish with us?". Making the tournament as inclusive as possible should not only be the organizers' job, but the competitor's as well. If someone comes to the weighin (photoin?) with a great catch and says "I got him with a shrimp around a dock piling" then it is our job to say "let me show you a great lure that works in that situation too." At the end of the season the organizers can poll all of the participants and see which way to go for 2011, but step one is to get as many participants as possible.

There have been some comments about no on posting on the "pro live bait side". I would be willing to wager that most of the live bait fisherman will be the "this is something cool to do this weekend" versus those of us who follow the boards and drool over the opportunity to not only fish, but compete.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:27 pm 

I'm not jumping in on the bandwagon. But, I would like to at least chime in an offer my opinion to be counted.
I was also excited about this opportunity and now I am going to pass. I live in Virginia and planned to fish the Carolina events. If bait is allowed, I feel like it is a "who got lucky" event rather than a tournament. The gentleman that said that the IFA outgrew using bait on the "real" tour stated that it was needed to grow the event. I think that there are many more anglers that would consider entering a tournament as a skills competition. If bait is allowed, the IFA has not "outgrown" it. Sounds like it is a done deal and for that I am truly discouraged, it could have been great. In addition to entering, I planned to sponsor a selection of anglers for these events. In light of the circumstances, I will be withdrawing that sponsorship as well. Good luck with the event, I hope it makes it through to 2011.
Chad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:09 pm 

LOL

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

Any Kayak Angler getting scared off by some live bait shouldn't be considering themselves kayak anglers...................................

You guys are funny. Seriously here we have a chance to get a great tourney going and all you guys do is bash it cause its got live bait.

WHO CARES...............

I fish circles around dudes who use live all day........... Will be no different with this tournament. Bring them on I welcome as many people who want to fish live bait to join this way that money pot keeps climbing, sponsors keep adding more money to the budget due to turnout, and 2nd place will end up being worth more then 1st place!!!!!!!!!!!

Quit being women and lets fish already........

The bottom line is its about FUN!!!!!!!!!!!! Right?????????

Page 3 of 6 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next