It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 4 of 6 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: IFA Kayak Tour and Bait????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm 

It was starting to sound like a flyfishing convention in here. "Fish with live bait?! EGADS, no way!" Next thing you know we'll have flyfishing purists pushing to get rid of baitcasting reels and spinning reels, and accepting nothing less than barbless hooks or they'll refuse to participate in IFA tourneys. :lol:

And if the flyfishermen come on here and make such claims, then guess what? The IFA won't take their future suggestions seriously because they've already refused to participate! If you want change to happen, then push for it as a participating member, not a spoiled-sport who won't play if it isn't all done your way.

As things stand right now, this is one rule for one year, with a look at how to improve the tour in the future once this year is over. Want things your way for the future? Then participate now and make suggestions for years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:42 pm 

The ebb and flow of these threads is hilarious sometimes. When this thread was started by Upthecreek(one of the few guys who actually participated in the IFA kayak tourney last year and by the way has won multiple tournaments using live bait) it was a way to express disappointment that the kayak division would not be artificial only and also to see if it was not too late to reconsider this rule. Most of us who responded share that disappointment, but most will still fish and support these tournaments. If I feel that by using live bait will give me an advantage, then I may choose to use it. Calling people spoiled sports and (heaven's forbid) flyfishermen :lol: is a funny way to identify people just expressing their opinion.
I hope we all support these IFA events by participating in spite of couple goofy rules. I'm also willing to bet that the best angler's will consistantly post better results no matter what method of catching is used.
See ya'll next month!
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:05 pm 

I was at the first IFA Tourney and placed.

I can tell you probably the biggest reason the live bait rule is being allowed is cause of the lack of people who actually showed up to the first event.

We had 14 people at the first tournament which to me was not a good showing, I was amazed when they didn't cancel and realized then what good sports the IFA guys are.

I'm sure they are hoping by opening the tournament to more recreational anglers they will draw a better turnout which will in return make sponsors happy.

These tournaments don't happen without sponsors and you don't make sponsors happy with turnouts like the first one.

I would say the no boundaries rule is my biggest complaint but will actually work to my advantage this year.

Chappy won the first tourney cause he fished Jacksonville for a Titusville Event. Titusville was under enormous pressure from 3 weeks of tournaments and was tough fishing that day as 12 of the 14 anglers fished the Titusville - Melbourne area and everyone struggled to bring in small fish. Had there been boundaries I believe the tournaments turn out may have been different. (Not Doubting your fishing skills Chappy but you know what I'm getting out)

We should all run the season how it sits, see how it plays out and i'm sure over the year feedback will be taken into account and changes will be made for the next year. But to flat out say you're not gonna participate cause your scared of some live bait is silly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm 

Talltails wrote:
The ebb and flow of these threads is hilarious sometimes. When this thread was started by Upthecreek(one of the few guys who actually participated in the IFA kayak tourney last year and by the way has won multiple tournaments using live bait) it was a way to express disappointment that the kayak division would not be artificial only and also to see if it was not too late to reconsider this rule. Most of us who responded share that disappointment, but most will still fish and support these tournaments. If I feel that by using live bait will give me an advantage, then I may choose to use it. Calling people spoiled sports and (heaven's forbid) flyfishermen :lol: is a funny way to identify people just expressing their opinion.
I hope we all support these IFA events by participating in spite of couple goofy rules. I'm also willing to bet that the best angler's will consistantly post better results no matter what method of catching is used.
See ya'll next month!
Jason

Oh I wasn't calling you or Chappy a spoiled sport for expressing your opinions. I don't believe either of you have stated a refusal to fish the trail. I think you guys are doing just what the IFA wants you to do--express your opinions on what you think would make it better while being active participants. That's exactly what I mentioned in my first post as being the right way to do it (in my opinion).

Those who have come on the forum and said they refuse to fish the trail because live bait is being allowed are the ones I said were acting like spoiled sports. Maybe that language is too harsh for today's politically correct climate, but when I see someone say they were looking forward to the trail but that they now won't participate because the rules aren't exactly how they want them to be, and by the way, they are taking their sponsors with them, etc, etc---well, that's acting like a spoiled sport in my opinion. Just expressing my opinion like they are.

And I too fished in the IFA tourney last year in Titusville. Drove all the way from the middle of South Carolina. Why? Because I think this will be a great tournament trail and I wanted to be a part of it from the beginning. Those who refuse to fish the first full season because of one rule might not understand that, but that's okay with me. Driving 5 hours didn't stop me from fishing in that first event, so a rule for or against a certain bait isn't going to either. Heck, I might even bring my flyrod and load up a shrimp/mullet combo bait on a barbless hook. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 am 

brian wrote:
Talltails wrote:
See ya'll next month!
Jason

Oh I wasn't calling you or Chappy a spoiled sport for expressing your opinions. I don't believe either of you have stated a refusal to fish the trail. I think you guys are doing just what the IFA wants you to do--express your opinions on what you think would make it better while being active participants. That's exactly what I mentioned in my first post as being the right way to do it (in my opinion).

Those who have come on the forum and said they refuse to fish the trail because live bait is being allowed are the ones I said were acting like spoiled sports. Maybe that language is too harsh for today's politically correct climate, but when I see someone say they were looking forward to the trail but that they now won't participate because the rules aren't exactly how they want them to be, and by the way, they are taking their sponsors with them, etc, etc---well, that's acting like a spoiled sport in my opinion. Just expressing my opinion like they are.

And I too fished in the IFA tourney last year in Titusville. Drove all the way from the middle of South Carolina. Why? Because I think this will be a great tournament trail and I wanted to be a part of it from the beginning. Those who refuse to fish the first full season because of one rule might not understand that, but that's okay with me. Driving 5 hours didn't stop me from fishing in that first event, so a rule for or against a certain bait isn't going to either. Heck, I might even bring my flyrod and load up a shrimp/mullet combo bait on a barbless hook. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you guy the I met at CVS?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:48 am 

No, we spoke at the tournament but didn't meet at CVS. There was another guy there from SC that may have been who you are thinking of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:18 pm 

By the way, Chappy and I both went to Jacksonville, fished 20 yards apart, with the same lures and gear. He is good and lucky, and sometimes, thats what it takes to win. And just becasue you put miles on the road, does not mean your gonna do better than a fellar paddling 500 feet from the headquarters launch site. I look forward to seeing each of you at the tournaments.

Last edited by jsuber on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 pm 

For me its not about being pure or the fact that I like or do not like a live bait. If live bait is allowed every tournament from Texas to the Gulfcoast WILL be a bull red tournament. Period. If you are fishing the gulfcoast on the flats you are not going to catch a 40" Red therefore you will not win. Hopefully its not sporty in the pass that day ;) Ill be out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:26 pm 

Jumping on the bandwagon a bit late on this, but I too was disappointed to see that bait is now allowed. All the reasons for not allowing bait have been defined, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. It just doesn't make sense. There are plenty more kayak anglers willing to shell out $100 to compete against the best with artificials vs bait chunkers willing to spend the cash. Hopefully they will listen to our opinions and change the rule next year. Anyway, I'll see you all soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:50 pm 

I met someone in the CVS that morning, woke up sick and was buying all the drugs I could find. Last thing I wanted to do was be on the water, but figured after driving all the way down there I might as well fish.

Did not like seeing the addition of bait, but it will not prevent me from fishing the tournament. I would rather like to see some type of boundary.

James

Page 4 of 6 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next