It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 6 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: IFA Kayak Tour and Bait????
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:10 pm 

Just another opinion on the subject, maybe for those of us that were counting on this being a PRO event and mirroring the boat event can speak up and if enough of us feel the same way, well you never know what could happen. Until the first line hits the water the officials have the final call. First off I have fished and won tournaments with and without bait involved and I will fish within the confines of the officially set rules but I fished the IFA event last year and it was "lure only" and it was challenging and put all of us on the same playing field. It was a breath of fresh air to be in such a "PRO" caliber tournament with the rules and methods of fishing that went with it. Artificial lures are something that have to be fished and therefore there is some serious skill involved in most cases which would seem to be warranted in a PRO event. Everyone can show up with their own choice of lures and work them they way they know how and then at the end of the day the person who worked the hardest wins the event.

Another point I would like to make is this is a Catch, Photo, and Release tournament. Well I can’t say for anyone else and haven’t done any scientific research on this but I can say from my experience in fishing (red fish and trout) the majority of the problems I’ve ever had with fish mortality haven’t come from the occasional red fish inhaling a top water plug but they have been from fishing with cut mullet, live shrimp or other natural baits. I might add, this is using the appropriate size circle hook for the task at hand.

Again I will fish the tournament and use the rules the tournament has in place to fish and give myself the best chance to win but I am very disappointed that the tournament powers that be decided to include bait as a means of catching fish in a PRO event. Now it looks to me that for some reason we (kayak community) are considered inferior to the boat competition and can't handle fishing by the same rules.

Respectfully,
John P. Chapman
Winner 2009 IFA KAYAK EVENT

Post subject: Re: IFA Kayak Tour and Bait????
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:19 am 

I completely agree with upthecreek regarding the live bait rule in the IFA Kayak Tour. I also believe that in the long run, the allowance of live bait will hinder the number of entrants participating rather than enhance it. While perusing multiple kayak forums, I have not witnessed any excited discussions regarding the anticipation of the upcoming series of IFA tourneys, which also includes the total number of members in this forum. It's time to voice your opinion and let the IFA know how you feel regarding the live bait rule. Think about it, it's your $100, $300 or $600 (as in my case, plus travel expenses) you will be paying to participate in the IFA tourneys.

Sincerely,
Jerry Burdine
2009 IFA Kayak Tour 2nd Place Trout Division

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 am 

I also agree, in a pro event bait should not be allowed. That is the only thing that would set these tournaments apart from local charity tournaments. I can do a charity tournament for less money and walk away with more including a captains bag, raffle prizes, donate my money to a cause, and even a hobie pro angler if I am lucky enough. Charity tournaments in my opinion take a little skill and a lot more luck, and I feel the IFA tournaments need to be the opposite, a lot of skill and a little luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:56 am 

I have to agree with the above comments from the guys I will be fishing against in this year.
In the first place, how did this rule revision come up? Was it the opinion of one or maybe two people that changed it from artificial only to live bait? I can honestly say, that everyone I have spoken with since, has expressed disappointment at this rule change. We were all looking forward to putting our money up to test our skills against other anglers from the region.
I also feel that this will backfire on it's intended purpose of increasing attendence.
If the rule was changed for other reasons such as simplifying the rules, consider this: There are PLENTY of other ways one might break the rules.
I'm hoping the IFA will reconsider this and change the rule back to an artificial ONLY tournament. From my experience with kayak fishing tournaments and events, attendence is always most predicated by grassroots enthusiasm. We anglers, club forum members, guides, and prostaff folks create the buzz which fuels participation.

Jason Callaghan
Florida Forgotten Coast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:05 am 

You know in the begining I was impartial to the rule but after some serious thought and reading the other anglers opinions I have to agree with them. Artificials level the playing field...example...when all of you guys come to Destin and are throwing your lures on the flats I will be dropping that perfect livee in that perfect spot that will produce a monster Bull Red that no one but a local will be able to compete with, where as if Im forced to fish artificials I will have to change my style to compete with the field. I think fishing live bait gives the local the ultimate advantage anywhere you go. How many of us have a trout spot that holds monster trout that will only eat a live mullet? I know I do and I would hate to someone like Chappy or TT whos inshore skills are far more superior to mine! My vote is artificial only! I think anyone who is serious enought to pony up for the 100 dollar entry fee is serious enough to throw lures against the best of them!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:14 pm 

I also must agree with the above comments. Given my location and the fact that there are no boundaries everyone is in driving distance to there 'spot' with a bucket of live ones. I am still on the fence as to whether I will fish the series with these rules.

JKL
Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:08 pm 

I think bait levels the playing field too much. Most can catch a bulls in the pass with a chunk of mullet and a trout on a reef with a live bait. Being that this is to be a serious competition; those who have learned and perfected various presentations vs. allowing a bait to present itself as an easy meal should be able to test their skills vs the other anglers.

Either way I’ll see you guys out on the water.

-Brendan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:37 pm 

I fished the first event last year and was very excited about the upcoming season...one of the main reasons was becasue it would be artifical. After fishing the Kayak Slam Series a year or so ago, which was a joke, my friend and I have been looking for a kayak tournament series that would really be able to show off the Kayak fishing communities skills. Now with the news my friend doesnt want to be apart of the series and I am on the fence. Anyone can sit and throw a mud minnow out, sit with a beer in his hand and catch a big fish (Chappy). :lol: Jerry, i have emailed you about this and gave you my phone number to discuss. Please see where we are coming from. All we want is an even playing field and respect. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:52 pm 

I agree on the bait issue. I always use artificial and also have sponsors for that. Anyone can sink a crab or a mullet and catch a redfish. I wish it was an all artificial series as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:08 am 
Site Admin

I haven’t had a lot to say about this issue, but anyone who has been on our forums for a while will agree that within reason, I will let our guys voice their opinion. This is probably going to be a long answer.

A very important principle to the IFA has always been to be inclusive, vs. exclusive, and we are a grassroots organization. The very first line in our brochure is “The strongest grass roots inshore tournament series dedicated to catch and release in competitive fishing... And you can be a part of it.”

One of the things that I love most about the IFA is that at any tournament you can meet and interact with many of the top PRO anglers in the world of fishing, TV celebrities, and also meet and get to know someone who is a family guy, fishing his very first tournament. Then over time, you get to watch that rookie become an awesome accomplished competitor.

Early on in working with the IFA I was struck by the capacity of the Professional Redfish anglers to be open and helpful to newcomers, with honest answers and advice about how to succeed. It’s not usually like that in some other fishing sports.

I mentioned that once to Captain Greg Watts, that I was impressed by the way he was willing to divulge his techniques to someone that he would be competing against the next day, and his answer was not only an eye-opener, it helped make me more dedicated than ever to staying associated with this fine group of people, the IFA anglers.

Greg said “Well, Mike, it’s like this. When Bryan and I fish one of these tournaments, we focus our competition on those two Redfish. We aren’t really thinking that we have to compete against the other anglers, because it’s us against the Redfish! If we can work our plan, and beat the redfish, the other guys aren’t a worry for us.”

That from the most competitive pair of guys I ever met, who would bet against each other for anything at all and never quit until it’s over.

Now, after 10 years or so, I still am proud of every angler who goes out on tournament day, competes against the redfish, and brings his fish to the scale. Prize or not, check or not, that guy beat the fish that day, and that’s what matters inside. Trophies, checks, boats, etc.? Yeah, that too, but in the end, not so much.

So that’s the first thing, we compete against the fish.

Inclusive vs exclusive? There was a time when the IFA allowed live bait in a series of events catering to grassroots levels, and many of the anglers who fished those events are fishing the IFA today, or went on to fish other higher level artificial lure events. Did live bait hurt the IFA? Not to my knowledge. We outgrew it. Will The Kayak Fishing Tour outgrow it as well? Probably.

We’ve never had to say to an aspiring, beginning tournament angler, “Sorry, we don’t have an event for you.”

The IFA Kayak Fishing tour will have that philosophy as well. “Come all, you are welcome to participate, learn and have fun, and meet some great people.”

I am confident that we will quickly build a community of competent and resourceful Kayak anglers, who will reach out and support each other just as the IFA Redfish Tour has done over the past number of years. Will we have Pro anglers? Absolutely.

On the issue of IFA rules in general, and I know that many of you are new to the IFA, I’d like you to understand that rule changes at the IFA are not done lightly. We look at and make notes on the rules throughout the entire season, and prior to the next season we plan and discuss if changes are needed. Once that’s done and published those rules remain in effect for the next season. While the Tournament Director has the right to change a rule even after it has been published for the season, to my recollection he has seldom done so.

I’ve spoke to Jerry Stakely about the rule and Jerry had this to say “Let the guys know that we know that we’re new to the Kayak scene, and we may not always be 100% perfect starting out. We are always willing to listen and learn, and they can any of them call me on my cell phone and talk. (270-205-7761) That doesn’t mean that we won’t learn different, and change the rule next year.”

So, on the Live vs. Artificial bait issue, and the objections to live bait being noted, that rule will be reviewed going forward, and if the rule needs to be changed, we'll do that.

I hope that there are not guys who are saying “because of this live bait – artificial rule, this is going to be an unpleasant experience for me, and I’m going to do everything I can to make it as unpleasant as possible.” Live bait is optional; if you don’t want to use it, then don’t use it.

Personally, I hope everyone makes their own choice, and you guys come to the weigh-in with pictures of great fish caught on Rapala baits bought at Cabela’s, and netted with an Ego Net!

Page 1 of 6 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next